Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Life is fragile, handle with care

OXYGEN, PLATELETS and SURGERY#5

Taking a deep breath is such an automatic response, until you can't. I breathe with deeper awareness. Davis continued on oxygen all day yesterday and worked diligently on a breathing machine to help remove the fluid from his lungs. He needed platelets prior to going in for the 5th surgery. We were up and down all day with the breathing and platelets. The first bag caused a mild reaction and did not increase his counts enough, thus seemingly requiring a second bag of platelets. We began the pre-medication round again and then it was determined they would take the bag of platelets to the OR and hold them unless he bled large amounts and needed them. It is a balance between dangerous bleeding, giving too many transfusions and risking reactions and a decreased ability to accept a bone marrow transplant if needed in the future.

GOOD NEWS MINUTE!

The ENT specialist reported the happy news that he was confident that this time around he was able to remove all the infected tissue and bone. The news of the surgery went throughout the different specialists and they brought many smiles and words of relief for Davis.

FRIENDS, FOOD and FAMILY

I had such a great time last night taking photos of all those friends and family that made the trip to donate blood. My heart was filled with the comfort of all the children that will receive blood from such amazing people. Thank you for living lives that allow you to share such a gift. It was the most social interaction that I have had in months and I loved seeing so many familiar faces.

My heart was full of emotions and gratitude as I have never experienced before as the fragility of this life seemed to be held within each bag of blood. I couldn't help but have the overwhelming desire that my donation go directly into my boy and have some healing power. I hope that all the motherly love that I have for Davis will have similar intensity.

FORWARD WITH HOPE

We are continuing with the hope that the new medication we are giving to Davis will help his blood counts begin to rise. Stranger things have happened right. We are meeting with the Bone Marrow team today to get a consult, just in case, the timing will all be set in motion.

Of course, as we know everything can change, however, there is talk of letting us go home for a visit if we can remain fever free and stay off the oxygen. There are mixed emotions of going home. The emotional balance of healing is huge to have a break from the daily grind of the hospital..not to mention the healing power of sleep. However, being still at risk for infections, is always a concern. We are careful to not allow the uncertainty of this long road beat us down. So with that..we continue to live the moments of each day as they unfold.

1 comment:

  1. Gayle,

    I have remained silent as I have continued to read your blog. You have such strength and depth of spirituality that I am awed. Please know that you and Davis are always in my prayers. Anything else I try to think of to do for you is always left with a big ? If there is anything that I can do for you and/or your family, please don't hesitate to ask. It would be a privileg to be able to help in some small way! Keep the positive attitudes going!!!!!!

    Love you,

    Becky Rawson

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! We love comments, but not as much as we love you!