Wednesday, June 16, 2010

If it isn't one thing....

If you ever wanted to know just what the phrase "been through the ringer" means, Davis could tell you. The past five days have been a never ending roller coaster ride, full of twits....oh oh typo...I meant twists, turns and a few upside down moments. We continue to run tests for one issue and find another. To simplify, I will try to bullet point the happenings.

Head to toe:

*Head CAT scan-shows inflammation in the sinus' question the spreading of the fungus infection, beyond sinus and into brain and eye orbits.

22 hours of pondering..

*Head MRI - shows no fungus has yet spread to the brain...momentary relief.

*After two days of issues with insurance..we received approval to see the closest retina specialists at the Moran. They are out of network just across the walkway, but since Davis cannot travel, we were allowed to have an appointment.

Retinal photos find the retinal bleed that is still impairing his line of vision will require surgery, however, cannot be done until he has some immunity and platelets...so that is on hold for now.

It appears that the eye orbit is FREE of fungus...momentary relief.

*His IV central line decides to go on strike for 30 minutes...
30 minutes to ponder another surgery to replace the line.

After a few silent and some not silent prayers, and the tip of his head to the far right... it begins to function for him...momentary relief.

*Abdominal / chest CAT scan looking for any spread of fungus into his lungs, finds minimal spots that they will watch, however, found the
calcification within is appendix...what in the world....

18 hours to ponder risks of leaving appendix in versus removal..

No immediate signs of inflammation...this surgery on hold.

*Waited through the break of no sinus surgery yesterday to see if the platelet count would hold out for a fourth surgery today, without
requiring a transfusion....platelets remained at a reasonable number ...currently in surgery. Biopsy results pending for tomorrow.

*Davis still continues to be blessed to tolerate the daily anesthesia well and the request for a banana cream pie was submitted prior to surgery.

*Pain is off and on being under control...new meds or changing the dosage causes unsettled feelings within.

*Energy level also reaching new highs and lows.

*The need to be NPO or nothing by mouth to eat, makes for a difficult eating schedule and lots of hunger pains.

There are a few other issues in the middle...happy to report that the nerve and ligament tenderness and pain in his legs and feet are less now, and his toes are perfect!

We are hoping to eat pie and sleep off the anesthesia and the past few days!

On rides of life like today, we can for certain call upon the safety of our love and faith. I truly cannot fathom this ride without the love, security and peace that is offered through our faith. It is the calm amidst any storm. I have felt a supporting hand as I have treaded water the past few months..often with only one nostril above the surface! The insecurities of emotional, financial and physical uncertainties continue to pile upon my back as I tread, requiring daily...if not hourly, moments to remember to stop thrashing and fighting and just relax and breathe.

BE STILL AND KNOW THAT I AM GOD.

3 comments:

  1. Gayle and family,
    I just read about your whole blog and I have been crying through the whole thing. You are all amazing and so strong. I miss you and wish so badly that I was there to help you and your wonderful, beautiful family. Davis is so lucky to have so many people that love him and are praying daily for him. I know that we sure are. I think about you every day. YOu are an amazing woman Gayle. I love you girl.
    Love, Cherie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gayle...I just recently heard about all of this and have been reading your blog for the past week or so...you, Davis and your family are in our prayers and thoughts continually. You are amazing and so incredibly strong, which, I know, has rubbed off on your entire family especially Davis. May the Lord be with you and continue to bless you and your family. Love you!

    Love,
    Angela Porter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again, I am in awe at the second to second changes, decisions, ups and downs you all face. It sounds to me like Davis takes after his mom with a stellar attitude and strength (I'm sure from your hubby too...just don't know him) I am so blown away with just the thoughts of what you face each moment and what Davis has had to endure! In addition, I will stand tall and with 100 percent confidence say AMEN to your thoughts and feelings in the last paragraph! I can't imagine what it would be like to deal with all of this daily without the strength and blessings from our Father in Heaven and all the many angels surrounding you (seen and unseen)! You all will continue to be in our prayers!
    With much admiration and love,
    Jeni D.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! We love comments, but not as much as we love you!