Sunday, June 20, 2010

all in 24 hours

Davis sailed through the two blood and one platelet transfusion on Saturday morning. He felt tired after and slept most of the day. Thinking that it was a settled moment, I headed home to gather supplies for everyone to return home from the week of vacationing with friends and family. Courtney and Ryan spent a few cold days in Yellowstone with friends experiencing the park in a snow storm and then good enough weather to ATV and canoe. Ben and Emmi on the other extreme spent a weekend swimming and hiking in the 100 degree heat of St. George.

Within moments of being home, I got a call saying that Davis experienced an acute attack and was having a difficult time getting air. This is a frightening experience for Davis and all involved. We made a nervous trek back to the hospital. He was found to have fluid in his lungs and they did a chest x-ray and he was put on oxygen by mask. Worry about the fungal infection or another infection within the lungs began to be talked about among the specialists. The night was full of everything but sleep or even rest. We are in the "newborn" sleep phase...nights are mixed up with the days, after so many days in a row the delirious exhaustion sets in and one must try to sleep when he sleeps. A second chest x-ray looked clear for extensive infection and the oxygen and medications are helping him breathe better.


Now 24 hours later, he continues to need oxygen on and off, however, made the determination to hopefully get the fluid from his lungs by pacing the room, putting a few balls on the portable golf green, and weight lifting 32 ounce Powerade 100 times.



It is amazing the energy that just this little amount of effort taxes this once powerful athletic body.
Kudos to Davis for his continued perseverence.



FATHER's DAY-2010

Father's Day consisted of our entire family gathering in the hospital to open cards with dad, have the sacrament together and eat, all before he had to hop on a plane for a four day business trip....the drudgery of life goes on. The uncertainty continues to surface in the other kids every now and again. I am so proud of my kids and grateful to family and friends for hanging in there.

I am so grateful for all the emails and stories of endurance through trials. I truly wish I could share the many inspired words sent our way. At times it is overwhelming to hear of all the struggles in the world. At moments of pure exhaustion, I have to try and hold tight to all I know to be true and good. My heart is full of intense love for each of you that struggle with open challenges and especially those in silent search for direction and peace.


You're Not Alone
This will date me, however, today I reflect back upon the words of a song when I was a teen...You're Not Alone...Even though right now you're on your own, you are loved in ways that can't be shown...You're not alone...you're prayers are always heard... You're not alone.
I remember being sustained by those words in what at that time in my life seemed so tragic. I giggle at the trials in life at that age, however, realize even those shaped the daughter of God I am today. I love the comfort of knowing I am never alone.

As I walk the halls to look out over the valley, tears fall, saddened for the physical struggle and then joyfully for the spiritual reassurace. It is awe inspiring how the latter seems to always out power the weak moments.

I pray for the day when I can look back upon this trial...and in gratitude say...we made it!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so grateful for these updates. I relate so fully to your comments about the juxtaposition of sadness surrounding the physical struggle and the the spiritual reassurance that has blessed my life for several weeks now (it took me a while to get there, but am forever grateful I found it).

    I feel great peace and hope, and I also pray for the day when we can all look back on this trial, which has made us all more grateful for so many, many blessings, and give endless thanks for the miracle of Davis' recovered health.

    Love you all more and more every day,
    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gayle,
    You have always said you can never know a person until you hear their story. I'm so grateful to hear your story. Even though at times I'm sure it is not a story you wanted to be tellling. You are such an amazing woman and have such an incredable family. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Love,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! We love comments, but not as much as we love you!