Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Expired milk, the mirror and chocolate!

Random reflections-June 2010-lost entry!

Each day goes by in such an out-of-norm fashion. The nights alert the lights, beeping and reactions. The days are spent sporadically trying to recover from the nights. Upon admission, I happened to glance at the expiration date of the milk cartons in the cafe ...thinking optimistically that we would be long gone before that date arrived! That date has come and gone. New stock of milk placed in the case with a new expiration date. Day by day.


Within the 12x12 room is an obnoxious 2x3 mirror. No matter where you are in the room, this mirror attracts your reflection, drawing you in to view yourself in the harsh hospital lighting. Interestingly enough, I now fall into several risk categories for aging quicker!! My increased awareness of the need to stay on top of the aging process as I turned 40 this year was short lived. My new found sedentary lifestyle, at first might seem like a relaxing break from a fast-paced life...not so...after 96 days. These days only broken by the occasional jog up the stairs, or leg lifts while waiting for the microwave to beep.

The lack of Vitamin D adds to a decreased energy level, as well as, a just below healthy glow!

I catch myself with a curious awareness of the deepening furrow in my brow. No matter how tight I pull back the ponytail, it now remains a less than inviting crevasse. I used to think that people with this issue just must be cranky, now I give them empathy for perhaps a difficult life experience.

Davis and I were trying to decide if we would be permanent GERM-FREAKS when this is over or we will celebrate by rolling in the mud...To this we say...bring on the mud!

Social isolation for my personality is taking it's toll. In one breath, I want to throw the biggest party ever...in the next...just the thought of it exhausts my energy.

I long to have a rushed Sunday morning trying to get everyone out the door and look down the row at my entire family together in church.

There is a need to try and balance fasting for strength, eating to stay healthy and avoid getting run down while accounting for the lack of activity and increased calorie intake. The emotional eating issue alive and well with the draw of an endless supply of chocolate eclairs and Nutty Guys (aka bag o' thunder thighs). 1 minute 30 seconds(microwave timed) leg lifts do not even put a dent in an entire bag of chocolate covered raisins consumed every three days! It is nice though, they don't weigh their chocolate, so they have no idea just how much you've consumed before you even reach the check-out!!!?!! I know, self-control huh?

The deep, way-too-long lasting sleep creases across ones face each morning are a true give away to your age and the nights accommodations. Again being greeted first thing by the mirror and then a gaggle of residents...Mirror mirror on the wall!

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I've decided this blog will one day be a book! I quite enjoyed reading this, though I know you are feeling the reality of what you wrote, yet I find it so profound, honest and almost visual as if I was watching a movie of what you were writing about! Gayle, I do have to honestly say, you really do look amazing even with all the stress and worry! However, I also understand what it's like to watch changes in me that are less than pleasant. Therefore, you have an ability to share such raw, honest emotion that I believe many will relate to your thoughts! Cover the darn mirror! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! We love comments, but not as much as we love you!