Monday, May 31, 2010

When you wish upon a star...

After being home just long enough to almost catch up on laundry and gather together for Sunday, Davis had a Sunday night fever that automatically buys us an ER visit and admission to the unit. Each weekend trip through the ER is a risk and a long journey. After an eventful day of primary, sacrament at home, visiting graves for Memorial Day, home teaching, homework, and packing, we started to settle in when the symptoms began.

We managed the usual comfort measures, ice packs, cool shower and a wet cloth on the forehead for a couple of hours. Temperature readings every 15 minutes steadily rising to reach the maximum level before we are required to go to the ER, took us until 3am. As I gathered Emmi into the car to travel she woke up and began her usual pleasant chatting. While driving, she excitedly announces that she had seen a shooting star and made a wish. I asked her what it was, and she quietly reminds me that if she tells it won't come true. I reassure her that it's always okay to share with mom's. To this she whispers, "but NOT brothers!" again reassuring her "yes, but brother's on their way to the hospital are okay!" Her tender little 3 am voice replies that she had wished for Davis to feel better because she loves him so much.

I had a moment and wished that I could be five again!

It has been an extra emotional few days for our family. We had to make the decision to sell our boat. This may seem like an obvious item to sell, however,it defines our family togetherness to some extent, and will be an emotional sacrifice. It has been an activity loved by all ages. It brings together a 17 year old all the way to a five year old. Jeff and the three kids were able to head out for one more opportunity in the boat for Monday. This outing was both looked forward to for the fun, as well as dreaded for leaving Davis at home.
More and more we realize just how precious life is moment to moment. The ability
to handle these changes and uncertainty in life is definitely spread out down
the ages. Jeff is such an amazing hard worker and continues to lead us through
this most recent storm as he tries to build up for the next rainy day. Each child within their little life experiences. Courtney is celebrating turning 18 and graduating this weekend. Life is full of friends, fun, the few last minute tests to be taken, mixed with being pseudo-mom all in one. Ryan has made the most of the scattered parenting the past few months and enjoys being social. Ben and his tough exterior, mask within a tender heart full of uncertainty and homesickness. Emmi flits and floats from house to house, thinking life is a party...Again, I have a moment that being five sounds pretty good... Back to reality. Does anyone have any tricks to relieve the aging stress lines or sleep creases across ones face created by hunching over a hospital bed and dozing off?

We will keep you posted upon the happenings and when we will hopefully be
returning home!

4 comments:

  1. I just loved that sweet wish of little Emmi for her big brother. It was so tender. Gayle, I know it has been a very challenging week. I love you. I'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gayle, you and your family are keeping me grounded...one minute I'm complaining because I have mountians of laundry and then my teenage boys bring home their gym clothes for the first time since the 2nd semester started....(I must admit that made me laugh) Anyway...I'm sure it would be a joyous moment for your Davis to come home with stinky smelly gym clothes. Or to just be home to get ALL the wash done!

    Life is a challenge no doubt and we each have them in one way or another, but I think one of the things that's the hardest for both parents and extended loved ones is that WE WOULD GIVE ANYTHING to take it all away, and then we think of the scripture reference, "all these things shall give thee experience" (D&C 122:7) and we want to scream at times....BUT I DON'T WANT THIS EXPERIENCE!! Needless to say Gayle, you and your hubby are getting a taste of what Heavenly Father must have felt when he sent his son and knew he could not stop what was supposed to happen....how heart breaking....yet I read your letters and I know you have been trusted to face this challenge with your family and though my words can not and will not take away your trials, I can see that you have put your faith in all the right place!! You, your Davis and your family is AMAZING AND AN INSPIRATION!!! There is one who knows exactly how each of you feel. I love this scripture (Alma 7:11-12) it helps me to feel that I am not alone and that our
    Savior had to experience every single feeling, emotion, joy, heart ache, physical, mental trial etc...in order to know how to "succor" us. You have strengthened me with your amazing thoughts and experiences!!! Thank you and my prayers will continue to be with you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gayle, (that's weird to say.. I don't think I ever called you that growing up...) I'm not sure If you remember me at all, It's been quite some time to be honest. But It's me.. Alexa Farnsworth. I used to play with Courtney, and the Newman girls all the time, in fact, just the other day I was looking through some old pictures and there are some pictures of me and Courtney dressing up in her play clothes.. I think we were maybe 7 or 8 (ish). I cannot believe how much your family has grown.. Courtney.. I barely recognize her, in fact.. I honestly really don't, I had to look at the pictures a couple of times. I think Davis was maybe I don't know.. 5 ish last time I remember seeing him. Wish him luck for me will ya? Your family and struggles are in our prayers. (my family says hi as well. We will watch the blog and do anything we can to help!) Hope the next week turns out even better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this blog entry, Gayle. I love the images your words conjure up of Emmi wishing on a star for Davis on a very early morning trip to the PCMC ER.

    Thank you for sharing details about the other kids. I enjoyed a fun evening with Ryan, Ben and Emmi last Saturday at Cherry Hill and then later at Jon and Amy's.

    I'm sorry to hear that you had to sell your boat. I know how much you enjoyed spending time on it as a family.

    Sending my constant love and prayers in Davis' direction, your direction, Jeff's direction, and in the direction of your whole family. Love you all more than you know.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! We love comments, but not as much as we love you!