Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Remember to Breathe!

Remember to Breathe!

At times of challenge in life when you seem to be numb due to the pure exhaustion of worry, doubt, and fear, other senses are acutely alert.

Time seems to slow as emotions of the true importance of life are able to infiltrate your very being.

The smells of each hallway and hospital sterility permeate the air. The sounds of crying and laughter can be heard at every corner. The sight of loving embraces and gentle smiles that calm and reassure.

One of my favorite quotes comes from a book called “A Heart Like His,” stating:

"There isn’t anyone you can’t love once you know their story."
This thought often reminds me to have a constant Christlike love for people. Walking through life I often observe individuals and stop to ask what is their story? What brought them to this point in time of their lives? This observation is strongly available as day in and day out I walked the halls of a children’s hospital. The “regulars” or “long-termers” start up needed support conversations. The cafĂ© staff begins to recognize you. Maybe because you are in the same wash and wear clothes that you were in the night before! Everyone recognizes new concern and hope in a Father’s face or in a mother’s expression. It is easy to determine the parents of the residents of the hospital. Parents are often seen in pajamas, with belonging bags over shoulders and dark circles under their eyes. They are seen engaging in emotional phone conversations in a corner of a hall or lobby. Glazed over stares of parents in auto-mode . . . fighting to physically, emotionally and spiritually survive.

Outside, I step into an often complained about cold day in May, feeling renewed gratitude for the crisp fresh air and rain.

INSTEAD OF LEARNING TO WAIT OUT THE STORM,
WE SHOULD TRY TO LEARN TO DANCE IN THE RAIN
I remember to breathe.

I push back a pang of sadness and guilt that I am able to leave and walk outside at will, and Davis cannot. Then the gentle peace of a moment reminds me that the positive attitude that I can maintain within myself is a gift I can offer to Davis. This thought renews my diligence and endurance and allows me to take that moment and return to what lies ahead with strength and hope.

Gayle

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE this post!

    It is so beautiful and yet so true. We just have to remember to BREATHE and the Lord will do the rest.

    xoxo

    ~Elisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post. You are such a great writer Gayle. The heading looks SO much better, I've been trying to figure out how to center it, but it looks like you got it covered. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Gayle, for being a source of strength and positivity to all those who know you and with whom you come into contact. I have relied on you and those two essential qualities of yours many times in the past couple of months. The blog looks great and I love the family pic.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! We love comments, but not as much as we love you!