About 10 minutes after they had left the room, he looks up from his-pass-the-time game on the Ipad to say; "do you think I should have told them that my hair is falling out now too?" "What? yes, you should probably tell them, but why didn't you?" In all sincerity, "well, they will just tell me it is from stress, and I don't feel stressed!" My heightened need for some humor made me laugh so loud that the nurse came in to see what was up! He continues to amaze and inspire the staff with his positive outlook.
Don't get me wrong though, he is definitely feeling the sting of so many restrictions. The news of no school was a blow, however, the school has been understanding and is working with us to set up Skype for his classes so that he can hopefully maintain a connection, as well as his 3.9 GPA that he worked so diligently to regain. The biggest struggle is the disappointment of a 1975 Chevy just sitting in the garage awaiting the anticipated overhaul that was on Davis' top priority list for the summer. He is anxious to get the roof sanded and painted, and says he will double up on the mask if I let him try to work on it! Needless to say we are searching for a new project, job or well, any other focus!
We leave the hospital after a round of platelets, shrimp, spaghetti and meatballs. His mouth was too sore for the shrimp so I had a yummy lunch of shrimp and an eclair. He practices his faces behind the mask. He is trying to master making mouth movements without me seeing it in his eyes! A few stops to Costco and the bank as he sleeps on the ride home. As we pull in he wakes just enough to say(with a hint of sarcasm), "thanks that was fun!" We both smiled and move on with our day! He slept most of the evening and then woke up today and said, "I think I will go run sprints at the park!" Today is a good day.
Change your thoughts and you change your world.
- Norman Vincent Peale
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave a comment! We love comments, but not as much as we love you!