Wednesday, February 9, 2011

I put myself in Time-Out!

I just returned home from Time-Out for Women in Ogden.  If you haven't heard, it is an amazing two-day event sponsored by Desert Book.
I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF MY TIME OUT!  
I can't even begin to express the gratitude for the laughter and inspiration that this years theme brought into my life.
"All Things Are Possible To Him That Believeth"-Mark 9:23 
Choose to Become-Discover Your Possibilities.  

I didn't for one minute feel like I was being handed my not so gentle reminder of all the things that I hadn't quite mastered as a wife and mother or woman, rather I felt enabled with mental, emotional and spiritual tools and reminders to become who I want to be.  Ironic, since one of my New Year's resolutions was to find me...and then be me.   My head is spinning with all the thoughts, quotes and emotions of the presenters messages.  I am ever grateful for the many women in my life.  I can truly say that the love I have for the friends, sisters, mothers and daughters is endlessly fueled by service and support given in my most darkest hours, as well as, my shining moments.  I love you all and thank you for enriching my life.  I am in constant awe at the strength of women in this world that continually share motivational and inspirational examples of perseverance through this increasingly challenging adventure called life.
My mirror now reads:  Remember the empowerment from this moment, today...everyday!  Often times I feel like it all makes perfect sense while at these brief retreats, however, like a diet or Thanksgiving dinner, so much work goes into something that can be undone or over in an instant if you do not crave to stay aware.

  "Be where your feet are."  Casandra Barney- A sentiment of not looking to the future or the past, but live in the moment.  Which as you know, is one of my life's passions.


 I am lovingly embracing this birthday week even with all of the intense aging...and "maturity" that has come from this past year.  What girl doesn't want to have her photo taken and be given the title of "Catch of the Day" for her birthday?
Of course I am still fighting the stress weight gain, grey hair and wrinkles with all of my energy and might...in all my spare time!  So with that being said, not much progress, but continued hope.  However, leave it up to a 6 year-old to add a vote of confidence.  Monday was a day of feeling sick, no shower, laundry and numerous chauffeuring jaunts in my pj's and slippers, and hair in a pony that had seen the activities of the day without a redo.  The 5:59p.m. scene is as such; homework on the counter, backpacks in the hall, dinner partially prepared on the stove, multiple people coming in and out all with different requests and Emmi moaning on the couch with a tummy ache. In a random moment, she pops her head up to say, "mom, you look elegant!"  I smile at the obvious misunderstood and inappropriate usage of the "word of the day".  Her loving and proud smile however, prompts me to say, " why, thank you, do you know what that word means?"  "Yes, mom, it's means you are pretty!"  I wished again that the world could be seen through the eyes of a child and accepted the sincere praise as it was given!

As winter continues to hold strong,  I reflect as one of the presenters spoke just to me as she introduces herself as; loving to wear flip flops and not believing in Winter.  I could have written those as a description for myself.



I do, however, love a good snow storm around Christmas, and another in January to provide enough snow for a fun day to create a massive sculpture in the front yard!  We were unclear after everyone's input from the chair to the mo hawk, just what to call the creation: Big Guy, A Ute, A Trojan or Centurion were among the few thrown out by passers by.  The kids are already making big ambitious plans with Uncle Jed for next year. What more could a ten year-old Ben have wanted than the ultimate snowman in the yard for his birthday.  Negotiations are in the works to have it  become an annual tradition to break up the cold days.  I love traditions!



Davis lost a bet this week and we now affectionately call him by the name "TIGGER."  A perk in this case to one of the side effects of medication of extra leg hair growth, combined with his already hairy man legs, meant the stripes were fairly noticeable.   We are grateful he has not lost his sense of humor...hope it grows back?

We head into this week with the news that we do NOT have to draw labs...and the report from Davis that he "got his vertical jump back as he reached the rim 4 times in a row and it didn't hurt his legs!"  Of course you can only imagine the proud and elated smile as he accomplished this milestone and gave the report!  His physical strength is beginning to catch up with his determination...what a beautiful thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! We love comments, but not as much as we love you!