Sunday, November 27, 2011

September 2011-Socks will NOT define my life!

Socks-an evil necessity:  I was reminded today of a resolve that I have made over the years, ''I will NOT let socks define me!"  However, today when Emily puts on her socks for school and I overhear her say, "good, these socks aren't that dirty!"  I smiled and then simultaneously laughed and cried inside at the thought at just how much this month the frustration of socks has been allowed into my life.  I cannot seem to control where they are taken off as evidence by the pair on the outside porch, one under the couch, and how do they end up in the playroom stuffed animal bin?  No matter how many different kinds I buy, the socks are too long for the likes of one person and too short for the needs of another.  Baseball socks, school socks, multi-sport sport socks, work socks, boot socks, comfy socks, work-out socks, church socks and on and on times seven people!

One such example of defining life this month has been the, "if the top of the sock at least matches what shows, then you are set to go!"    We all have the MIA socks that have an exact look-alike mismatched pair in the drawer.  My Autumn resolution to follow the theme "use it up wear it out, make do or do without," is ever apparent in our sock situation right now. I always disliked receiving socks for Christmas, however, they are on every single persons need list this year!  Taking it a step further is the constant battle of growing out of shoes before they are worn out or with Ben, wearing them out before you grow out of them.

Why is it always 5 minutes before the bus comes that you notice the desperate need for new shoes as Ben's entire left large toe protrudes from his only pair of school shoes. Being the king of "wear it out," when I told him I did not have time to replace the shoes until the next day, he responds with, " okay well, "if I have to get new shoes can you just make sure they have a ton of rubber on the bottom this time so they don't break open all the time?"  Of course it is an issue with the manufacturing of the shoe and has nothing to do with the constant jumping, climbing and dragging scooter brake on the part of the user!

One would think that it would be easy to find the time to just go and purchase new socks and shoes!  One would think!  Not this month.  The month of October was busier than usual as we finished up the football seasons, Halloween parties and costumes, winter yard prep and just to add unusual to the mix, two Gluten Free Expos, and a long anticipated Senior trip to the Caribbean with Courtney and Davis.  With all the transfers for the expos and the trip, I have been on more airplanes this month alone than the past ten years combined!

First in the month, I had the great privilege to fly to Dallas with Sweet Cake for a two-day Gluten Free Expo. We had a great following and people were so grateful and could not stop talking about the product.



The preparation and travel was intense as we baked and packed a large amount of product to sample at the Expo.  I absolutely had a blast talking with people who are used to being told that they cannot have baked goods such as these and telling them yes! Then to have grown men and women literally cry at the flavor and little kids giggle at the thought and taste of a cupcake...I love it!

 We also had a day or two around the Expo to eat and visit a few sights in Dallas.  The Sixth Floor Museum for President Kennedy was amazing.  It was intriguing to stand by the X in the road where he was shot so many years ago.





I couldn't get used to the flat land and kept looking around for the mountains.  At several different moments, I would see the illusion of some in the distance.We had fresh Tex-Mex food and German Food and had fun driving around the neighborhoods of Texas.
After returning home on Monday, we immediately began preparations for the Salt Lake Gluten Free Exp, the following weekend, which was heard to have pre-sold over 7,000 tickets and expected many more!  WOW!  Again the intense all nighters and prep work is crazy to make and keep the product fresh, however, once again it was extremely well received and worth every minute!


Kaysville Elementary Character convention brought out Pippy Longstocking!
Crazy hair day!

Time out for a night out with all but one sister!  THE HELP-a must see!


 A day fishing !

Riviera Maya
2011

After a year and a half wait, we were finally able to take a once in a lifetime trip with Courtney and Davis.  A belated celebration of Courtney's graduation and a continued celebration of Davis' health took us to the Riviera Maya in the Caribbean.  So with many checks in line like all the gluten free options, labs stable and filtered water at the resort, we took the plunge and opted to live in the moment!  Scenery aside, to be with just the four of us was a blast.  It's is strange to have basically adult children to remind you of your own age, however, the friendship        and love that we all share made the week one for the memory books!
                                                                                                                                                                                         hiking through a dry cave and a jungle zip-line was an incredible time!

Courtney's wish come true, to swim with a dolphin! Pucker up! So I guess this means Davis officially misses "sweet sixteen" by 47 days!  We had a great mixture of relaxation and fun which included para-sailing, poolside scuba lesson, amazing food and tons of  Mojitos and pinatas(aka non-alcoholic Pina-coladas!   What an absolute blessing with many reflective moments to see Courtney enjoy basically all the fresh food that she could eat and and Davis enjoy life like nothing else is going on in the world.  It was the first time in a very long time that I consciously let it all go for a day or two.  I had truly misplaced that feeling!  My guard(whether appropriate in Mexico or not) was lifted slightly. What a feeling!


 Here's to health and happiness!



 Fun Souvenir shopping!
 underwater cave dive





                     Logging this feeling                               and image into my heart. A place I will escape to in my mind over and over throughout the years!


 
Halloween Pumpkin carving






The last few games of a great              
season with Davis High
and Krush Football.


Daddy Daughter NERD night with Brownie Scouts!

Colonial Days at Kaysville Elementary. Ben is becoming quite the chef and made a Colonial meal of shepherds pie, scones and ginger ale!  He loves to cook and create food.  Among his specialties are triple decker sandwiches and omelets made to order.

We celebrated Thanksgiving with extended Cox family, hosting an all out Gluten free meal that was enjoyed by all.  Once again, I am in constant heightened reflective mode.  We are truly blessed for the friends, family health, gospel and love that we have in our lives.  Even with all the busy happenings of the days, I kneel in the morning for the new day and in humility and gratitude at night for one more day.  The following quote has come into my mind several times in the past few months.  As the world continues to revolve at an intense and often chaotic pace, I remember this sentiment and the world may not cease, but for a moment I feel a calm.


Look at everything as though you were seeing it
either for the first or last time.
Then your time on earth will be filled with glory.
- Betty Smith








1 comment:

  1. What a fun post! I've been waiting to see pictures and hear more about your Riviera Maya trip, you got to see and do a lot of things!! I'm very jealous that you got to swim with dolphins. LUCKY!

    PS. Jed and Ben are a lot alike when it comes to shoes. I still have shoes from high school... jed is lucky to make them last a couple months! haha!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! We love comments, but not as much as we love you!