The pangs of the holidays being over are felt as I try to get back into a routine. Routine?
I feel like I move 24/7 and everything is still out of place.
Once again, the quote "I'm so far behind, I thought I was first", enters my head. January always brings with it the intense cold, which for me is not my first love. My neck hurts to shiver and my back spasms as I try to get warm. It is January and February that I always notice the increased advertisements for a tropical cruise...I have said before, I am a brunette Cali girl at heart. In many ways I look forward to the renewing aspect of a new year...like how soon Spring will be here! I try to look at taking down the Christmas decorations as a new and fresh reason to clean. Davis' health maintained over the holidays. He made the best of every opportunity to be in the snow and with family and friends. We put off taking everything down as Jeff helped care for his father who was hospitalized over the holiday for kidney problems. He is home again now and will begin dialysis in the next few weeks. We are so grateful for our family and friends and their ability to help out and pull together when needed. What a tremendous peace to know the support systems that can be formed when called upon. There are daily reminders to capture the moment and live life to the fullest.HAPPY BIRTHDAY JEFF!
I usually do not even attempt to begin the new year until after January 3rd which is Jeff's birthday. I love to celebrate him in full holiday fare, and extend the festivities just a few more days! A quick Monday a.m. trip to the store and breakfast in bed began the week! We didn't let the first day of school and homework dampen our roasted Cornish game hen and chocolate torte celebration...we just didn't get everyone in bed until 11:00pm. So much for the early to bed early to rise resolution! Oh, yes, then we have this puppy, who's birthday is January 4th. So what's one more day? The usual morning routine, never seems to go as smoothly as I could have hoped. Even with preparations the night before to help ensure a positive start to the day, there is often an issue of some sort to challenge the routine. Tuesdays are currently an extremely a busy day. The "normal" morning routine of labs, breakfast, and two loads of laundry off and running. Courtney is busy getting ready to return to college after the long holiday, and already being missed greatly. I love and cherish my mother-daughter time with her. I love that she is experiencing this time in her life, however, I can't help but want to hold tight!
Just when I think I might have a minute or two to fire-up the treadmill, I look around and instead begin to fold laundry, put away a few more Christmas decorations, answer the phone, make appointments, clean up breakfast, oh, what is that I hear, someone sick in the bathroom...fun?! I remember the analogy of the instructions in an airplane that say, that in an emergent situation, you should always put your own oxygen on first so that you can then help others. This is sometimes difficult to do when you want to help someone immediately. And we all know that there is always an immediate need to be found. That's how I feel about exercise at this point, it is my oxygen that I need to better help others. I feel like I am just exhaustedly surviving with little oxygen. I think to myself as I wrap up in a warm towel from the dryer, just how comfy it would be to crawl back into bed. No! Today is the day.
I cringe at the very thought of tomorrow, the day after the first day back to a workout after a l o n g break. I am already bugged a bit that I have to start on a Tuesday. I know it's psychological, but I do better starting anything on a Monday, however, I just can't wait, or use it as another excuse. I gather the mental capacity to be content with the physical limitations that both being forty and a few chronic injuries require. Not to mention time restrictions and a increasingly slower metabolism. Joy! I can already feel the lactic acid building in my thighs and smile at the thought that I will most likely be walking backwards down the stairs tomorrow due to my determination to get some exercise... no matter what today...bring it on! I always try to start slow, however, if I'm going to invest the time, I'm going to make it matter...and usually over-look my limitations and over-do! I know I will feel better about the "break" from any conscious efforts to be healthy over the holidays if I just do something, anything. I loved every minute of chocolate, shrimp and cheese and crackers! Red Pepper Jelly on baked Brie....ahhh, heaven!
Great the remote is no where in sight to start the workout video. Another delay.
I am reminded of a New Years talk that was entitled, "The New and Improved Me was Just Cancelled!" What is it about women and New Years resolutions that we have to do it all at once? We must, we must, master every aspect of life that we are lacking. Thus my list this year, which includes many subsets to spiritual, emotional, physical, talents, service, organizational, and of course family goals. Today, (a long with everything else),I will drink enough water, and NOT eat the Christmas chocolate on the table!
PS It is 12:30pm and I am struggling physically from my over-do attempt at exercise, however, already feel the mental boost I needed to finish the day. I better get a ton done today, for tomorrow I will surely be moving slow! Happy Day!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave a comment! We love comments, but not as much as we love you!