As I have been taking online courses this time around, I have found myself drawn to courses with current intense personal emotion involvement. Everything from childhood Asthma and ASD's , lab value interpretation, liver and renal assessment to blood administration/reactions and treatment. The list was endless and I could have added a few more, like Gluten sensitivities, stress management, bone marrow, how to support a child in college, laundry made easy, etc.etc.
Although some of the topics were deep, I love learning when there is a personal connection. I have to say I spent a little more time and effort this time to try and understand these issues all around me and learn how to somehow help out. No matter how many articles, internet sites or course materials to be read, none compare with the learning that happens through life experiences. I used to comment as I was in my "childbearing years" and was creating quite the thick and colorful personal medical chart that I could empathize with my patients as I cared for their similar issues. After so many issues and as the years have passed, I also recall feeling as if I just wanted to READ about a woman's health issue to treat someone rather than experience them all! I have to say I have been a little more detailed oriented with the personal experiences of life, either myself or others close to me.
I have just completed my CE for the next two years. YAY!
From one issue to the next. The latest labs for Davis have been a struggle. Last week alone we drew labs three times to try and get therapeutic levels, then treated toxic levels. Davis was elated to hear that they were trying to decrease toxic levels of the "skunk" medicine by holding three doses and then testing levels again. One would have thought it was Christmas morning all over again for this boy. The grin on his face as he realized he could go on a scout over-nighter WITHOUT worrying about traveling with meds and all the issues that come with that was incredible. It is the continuous balance of allowing a 15 year-old boy be 15 and what uncertainties there are with that venture naturally, let alone with this health hurdle.
The battle of weighing out the emotional with the physical consequences of each activity choice is daily.
He has been incredibly strong and very compliant, and I think he is showing signs of needing more and more of the emotional balancing activities oh, like baseball and freezing overnight camp out (with some restrictions) etc. Some have asked; "how do you watch him play ball or allow him to go on these overnighters." to this I say, although I hold my breath and wish and pray for safety, it was by far more difficult and sad to watch him or NOT allow such activities.
He is choosing to push through this struggle and continue to LIVE his life. [HOPE]
We have felt the impact of chronic issues throughout our families health history and most recently with Davis and Courtney. The impact has surfaced in a variety of emotions with each family member. Ben profusely worries about surgery after his fall on the playground. The simple act of the dog getting loose and running away can send Ben and Emmi into emotional tears and neck breaking hugs upon finding the puppy. Ben swears we will never walk the dog or let her outside again so that there is NO chance of her getting hit by a car or not returning. The pang of reality being explained that, while we hope she will not get hit, and always return, those are possibilities and brings confusion and more tears. The confusion turns to semi-understanding as we talk about how keeping the puppy inside may keep her safe, but she would be sad. Meals are filled with constant hope that what we are eating is gluten free for Courtney because "this is so good and I want her to have some."
I am truly amazed at the level of understanding and love that has become part of our lives through certain experiences. I am both grateful for the maturity and knowledge gained through these experiences and tender with the desire to balance out "growing up too fast." I believe that we are shaped and become who we are by our experiences...both positive and negative alike. I pray daily that as a mom, I can provide the good and the stable, amidst the troublesome and confusing challenges of life experiences. I continue to acquire knowledge and experiences every day.
One can truly learn from the adaptability, FAITH, and endurance of a child.
Mosiah 3:19
Mosiah 3:19
You constantly amaze me. ♥ you!
ReplyDelete