The phrase "within normal limits" is heard in the medical arena to indicate that certain lab results fall between a predetermined "range of normal." This week, Davis' liver and kidney functions were finally reported to be in that range of normal limits. I have learned not to hold my breath while awaiting the results each time we draw labs, however, I have to say, the anticipation rules my every thought for the day. As we are finding that more and more labs are beginning to fall within normal limits, I am brought to my knees in gratitude for the many prayers heard and answered. We continue to try and balance the immuno-suppressive drug to a therapeutic level and watch his red blood cells for improvement. Davis is relieved and thankful, that so far the side effects of increasing the dosage to reach those levels has not kicked back in...quite yet. The hope is that the side effects will not be as drastic as last time around. Here's to hoping and being "within normal limits."
With the phrase within normal limits reported today, you know me and my new found need to think deeper about life, I began to ponder the meaning of this term. I have always been intrigued by the mere thought of the word or sentiment "normal". While having children people would comment, "did you have the baby the "normal" way or by cesarean?" Are your kids normal? Is your skin normal, dry or oily? I once saw a show that depicted if you have lied about your weight on your driver's license then you are normal. I think if there were such a thing as normal, this world is far from what Heavenly Father would ever term normal.
As we try to find new norms in our life, often every day, I find myself looking at life through different eyes. As if it's not enough to deal with a cupboard full of meds and allergies with kids, our puppy now has potential allergies. I laughed at the regimen set out for each one of us... and the dog... to hopefully get us back to "normal". Ben is wondering if being almost ten and not liking the fright of Halloween is normal? When walking through the Halloween store, he started out tough, then gradually with the uncomfortable bombardment of skank and gore, got closer to me until the physical weight of his lean pushed me off balance. He so innocently looked up and expressed, "mom, I for sure like Christmas better than Halloween." He's had a rough go at feeling normal this week. A huge topic of conversation lately has been who can take pills and how many. Davis of course wins hands down in both categories. Ben is just in awe at the handful that Davis and Courtney can take now with minimal effort, drama or gagging. We have tried everything from smashed in jam to swallowing, to the pudding cover-up method. So this week, I unintentionally added salt to his wounds, by announcing that Molly(the puppy) had grown-up a little this week and could now take her pills without being disguised in cheese. Ben quietly replied, "well, she's grown-up more that me then!"
Fittingly, he chose to be a "Don't Worry Be Happy Hippy" for Halloween.
Ryan chose a carefree cowboy after an inspiring trip to Lyman, Utah for a great weekend in true wilderness boy heaven.
Then once again the thought...ahh, to be a six-year-old, thrilled that you can officially sing
All I Want For Christmas is My Two Front Teeth, be excited that your face "actually looks like a Kitty, thanks mom," and exclaim after Trick-or-Treating..."I am so candy rich!"
Gone are the days when the cupboard is full of lotions and creams that were purchased just because they had a nice aroma. Instead phrases like "age-defying", "anti-wrinkle" and my personal favorite, "youth enhancing", stare back at me (yes, I confess to supporting the billion-dollar-a-year racket and join those grasping for their youth). I must recognize a new norm of a 40 year-old body reminding a 21 year-old willing mind that
boot camp is not a reasonable work-out option any more! Davis and I have bonded lately in the realization that our bodies just don't do what our minds are willing to attempt without severe aches or reprimands! Besides the trivial for mentioned aging norms and dog allergies, I am constantly amazed, concerned and slightly frightened at the confusing messages sent by our world of political, spiritual and financial "norms."
Looking around I feel the ever strong urgency to hold tight to the one constant I know.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave a comment! We love comments, but not as much as we love you!