Sunday, October 17, 2010

Where there's a will...there's a way!

We had a huge week that all-in-all is clear-as-mud!  Let me try to elaborate.  A steady increase and maintenance in most labs, gave Davis the go-ahead energy to fulfill a strong desire to get back into ball.  Despite other labs that will require further testing and an appendix stone that will require surgery, he has gradually willed his way to playing and trying out for a baseball team.

My saying for this week has been; we have many places and goals ahead to reach,
 however, we are so grateful to NOT be were we have been. 

The CT scan follow-up was clear enough in combination with the plateaued immunity numbers to take him off the anti-fungal medication. With this change, we are hoping to see some of the side-effects go away. Bonus: the daily pill count was decreased by 6 pills. Of course they did add two others...We will repeat all the scans in 4 weeks. Other labs indicate that his red blood cells are for unknown reasons too large. Here is where it remains a little muddy in trying to explain. I got the new order and gathered all the different colored tubes from the lab. We will draw the usual Tuesday labs along with quite a few more to look for reasons for the large blood cells. We are good at realizing to celebrate the successes for what they are with anticipation that the next struggle is just around the corner. Bring it on!


I am still in constant amazement at the strong and gentle will of this boy.  When told that he would have to have the surgery to remove his appendix stone, there was a 2-second noted look of discouragement, followed by his words, "okay let's get it taken care of as soon as possible so that I can start to gather strength and energy towards playing ball."  I am increasingly tender at every simple milestone such as throwing a ball that is reintroduced into our lives.  It is incredible the beauty of watching such daily events come back into our schedule.  I am teary at every little outing and accomplishments that are the present and I hope and anticipate the big ones of the future.  I try to remain stable as I see how our family was thrown into forever changes over the past few months. 

I am happy to report, that the past few weeks have finally given way to thinking beyond survival.   I finally got thank you notes done and costumes started and even had a few thoughts about Christmas.  We celebrated our UEA weekend close to home. We affectionately termed it Unique Entertainment Activity weekend. As we spent time with family and friends over fire pits and movies, the simple life was in full force.  Blanket tents covering most of the basement were built by the little kids, but enjoyed by all.  Frisbee moments at the park were also among the fun.  We gathered all of our gift certificates, school awards and punch cards and went on a treasure hunt of sorts around the town.  By the time we were done we had visited several shops, been bowling and dinner consisted of Costa Vita Salads, Wendy's hamburger and fries, Mimi's cafe' kids meal and appetizer, Winger's appetizer and of course a Marie Calendar pie.  It kind of sounds gross all listed out like that, however, it was a good adventure and a great buffet!

The weeks following medication changes always keep us on our toes.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! We love comments, but not as much as we love you!