Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The sands of time

I complained that I had no shoes
until I saw a man with no feet.

I have often talked of a new found perspective for the little moments of life while in adversity. I think I might have over thought this concept this week. While taking out the garbage, I realized there was a can from the garage that I had let raw meat sit in for 4 days. The can was too heavy to lift, but the overwhelming stench beckoned me to get it out of the garage. I quickly put my hip into it and began to drag the can to the road. Upon lifting the sack out and into the large can, a small hole in the bag released blood soaked garbage and pieces of meat. I looked in the can just as a not-so-gentle waft of stink reached my nose. I then realized that the can bottom was full of a bloody liquid mess and turned to get the hose and soap to disinfect. After spraying and rinsing and spraying again, although standing my distance, a blast of water circled the bottom of the can and jumped at my face. On top of that I looked down to see blood all across my pants where I had put my hip into it! Now, being such a recently converted germ conscious individual, I quickly ran through in my head just how to wash myself off and not take this mess into the house and more importantly into Davis' space. The visual image of hosing myself off like a child that had been in the mud, brought a giggle. That, and the thought of my neighbors watching my awkward adventures. As the fleeting thought came to mind that this was no job for a lady, I verbally stopped myself, choked back the gagging in my throat and said; "but I am home, I am capable and I can do this!" This is the part where I think I might have gone a little overboard on the "keeping a bright perspective" issue and should have delegated this one out!

It is true that this experience with Davis and watching him suffer has brought a new perspective into so many lives. I still hold firm that everyone has their challenges, and when they are a part of your life, it is just as important as the next persons. I am so humbled as I watch a show about a mom with no legs or arms. I sit in amazement at her positive attitude and ability to endure...well.
As friends and strangers share their stories of struggles, I feel such a Christlike love for humanity. I am in awe at what people are asked to endure.   Burden or privilege?

I heard a talk this past week that issued the question; "How many times do you see Christ referred to as the preventor in the scriptures?"  The answer is of course, none.

For some reason hearing this struck me very profoundly at that moment. So many areas of my life I believe and even preach the importance of prevention being, by far, easier than paying the consequence. There is an increased raw awareness in my existence lately to the struggles of this world. This for me answers a lot of the WHY and HOW questions. If we live right, how can bad things still creep into our lives? Why are certain tragedies allowed to happen? If these moments were to be prevented, we would not need to lean on a Savior.
You hear this fact of the gospel over and over... and sometimes...it just makes masterful sense.
The peace found in this sentiment, lifts my spirits to endure well for just another day.

It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out;
it's the grain of sand in your shoe.
                                                                                     - Robert W. Service
One must see the mountains to know the purpose of one's life, but the joy or the suffering of life
is found in the smallest details of daily living.

Davis continues to endure well. The past few weeks have brought unique side-effects of face blistering and peeling, and raw nerve pain on shoulders and neck. When asked how his energy level is holding, he states, "it feels like I have done too much!" I asked what he had done too much of. His response was solemn, "not much." Last week the labs dropped once again, however, even through this difficult week of missing school and side-effects, his body has worked hard. Yesterday, labs showed signs of improvement in his liver and kidney functions, as well as red blood cells. One of the labs that had been steadily dropping the past few weeks, just went up a bit on his own power. Prayers answered. My heart leaps in a moment of celebration. That's okay for today right?  A boost to the power of hope and prayers.  We will continue with the hope that the progress will show steady improvement this time, be patient for the increases and content with the maintaining. We will keep you updated. Thank you for the continued support towards Davis and our family. We love you all. When he does have his good days, you will see him out and about living it up to the max.

I love his spirit to fight. He has an undeniable ability to see his own new perspective and not allow the "grains of sand" (or even the large rocks) in his shoe stop him from enjoying the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! We love comments, but not as much as we love you!